Monthly Archives: October 2017

Jetboard Joust DevLog #62 – Pulling The Pin

Been continuing with the ‘conventional’ weapons after finishing the dreaded flamethrower. Next one on the list – grenade launcher. Every self-respecting shooter should have one!

Thankfully this was a lot simpler than the flamethrower. A large chunk of the time was spent tweaking the grenade explosion – I wanted something that gave an ‘area of effect’ type flash and wasn’t able to do this without using a custom shader. Luckily I was able to re-use the ‘smoke’ shader I talked about here. I may tweak this some more but am pretty happy with it as is.

There were also a few issues with the movement of the grenade itself. I started with a simple ‘real world’ type physics model, the same I use for the falling pickups. This looked good but it was too hard to tweak the range for the different weapon levels and also hard to predict the range a grenade would travel for the enemy AI.

I ended up using LERPing for the horizontal movement. This meant I could predict and tweak the travel distance with 100% accuracy. When the grenade hits an obstruction LERPing is turned off and motion reverts to a ‘real world’ model.

Vertical motion remains a ‘real world’ model but I cheat a bit here as well, starting with a lighter ‘gravity’ applied to the grenade and increasing the gravity as the grenade reaches the end of its horizontal travel. This enables me to get a nice arc of travel for the grenade whilst keeping things playable and predictable for the enemy AI.

I’m still undecided as to whether I should allow grenade ‘suicide’ or only allow enemy grenades to damage the player…

Dev Time: 1.5 days
Total Dev Time: approx 121 days

previous|next

mockup_3x
Working On The Explosions

mockup_3x
Never Trust A Mutant With A Grenade Launcher!

mockup_3x
The Grenade Launcher Makes Earning Combos Easier!

mockup_3x
Remember The Martyrdom Perk In COD? Should I Allow This?
Advertisements

Jetboard Joust Devlog #61 – Flamethrower Blues pt. 2

Another huge lapse of time since the last update. Sorry! I’ve had my head down in contract work, been on holiday, had some private parking scammers issue court proceedings against me and had renovation work to do on a couple of rental properties. I can’t believe it’s been three months!

Contract’s over now though so back to it. I’m determined not to let ‘Jetboard Joust’ become vapourware. This post will be a bit sparse though as I can barely remember what I’ve been doing, it’s been spread over such a long period of time.

In the last post I spoke about getting the basics of the flamethrower action right. Now that was done I needed to make the flamethrower actually have an effect on enemies.

At a basic level this is very simple, I perform a straightforward ‘bounding box’ check on all the flamethrower particles and each enemy. Get the enemy to ‘burn’ in a visually convincing way wasn’t so simple though.

In my first approach I tried ‘sticking’ the flamethrower particles to the enemy once they came in contact. This just looked weird though as all the flames tended to appear in the same place rather than consuming the enemy as one would expect. It also threw up loads of other issues to do with the particles tracking the movement of the flamethrower (see previous post). After a while going down this route my code was starting to look so hacky, and the visuals were still so poor, that I decided to scrap it all and start again.

For my next approach I tried removing the flamethrower particles when they came into contact with an enemy and triggering a ‘burn’ animation instead. Even with a draft ‘burn’ animation this looked much better.

For the ‘burn’ animation itself I created a Flame class that utilised a similar particle effect to the flamethrower particles. After much tweaking I settled on the following ‘burn’ effect: whilst an enemy is burning flames appear at random locations over the enemy. Each flame has a sightly randomized lifespan. Flames may appear in front or behind the enemy, if they appear behind they are placed at the edges of the enemy so as not to be totally obscured from view. When a flame ‘dies’ it is replaced by another at a different location.

Next job was to get the enemy’s health to decrease in a way that made gameplay sense whilst the enemy burnt. I didn’t want health to decrease at the point of impact only, but for this decrease to continue as the ‘burn’ animation played out (to give the impression of the enemy’s health decreasing as they burnt).

What I ended up doing was maintaining a burn_damage variable for each enemy which stores how much it’s health should be depleted by over the course of a burn, and a burn_timer variable which stores the amount of frames the burn animation should last. When the Burn() method is called, burn_damage is increased appropriately and burn_timer set to at least 60 frames (more for very high damage values).

This approach gives a decent ‘slow burn’ effect whilst allowing me to tweak damage values easily to make gameplay sense. I also added something to make the flamethrower particles do less damage the nearer they are to the end of their lifespan.

Dev Time: 2 days
Total Dev Time: approx 119.5 days

previous|next

mockup_3x
The Finished ‘Burn’ Effect

mockup_3x
Enemy Health Depleting On A ‘Slow Burn’

mockup_3x
Flamethrowers At Dawn!

mockup_3x
The Flamethrower Upgrade Icon